Saturday 21 May 2011

Biography topics - John Stezaker (Illustration/Printmaking)

I had never heard of this artist before (yes, I know I should be ashamed) but the moment I saw his work I fell in love with it! I love the way he merges two images so perfectly and they blend in together so well and form this amazing image. I love his work and he will now be influencing the way my graphics design work is done from now on. This is going to sound gay, but I got a feeling when I saw his work, I think I have a favourite artist now. I say this because usually when I see art work I think err what the fuck is that?! Is that art?! I can do that!! I don’t really understand the work but when I saw this work it clicked in my head. Wahoo! (I have a goofy grin on my face as I’m writing this).

John Stezaker is an appropriation artist, who appropriates pictures found in magazines, postcards and books through his clean cut juxtapositions. (Juxtaposition is when u place compositional elements side by side, with the intention of comparing or contrasting them).  He embraces the content and context of the original pictures to convey his own clever meanings to it. He is a conceptual artist who looks at the different images as documentations of truth, purveyor of memories and symbols of modern culture. In using stylistic images from Hollywood’s golden era, his work temporally and conceptually engages with Surrealism.
Using both male and female identity, he creates a sense of harmony in his work. In his images and personalities become ancillary and empty, rendered abject through their magnified flaws and struggle for visual dominance.
































References 

Websites




No comments:

Post a Comment